[MPlayer-users] Re: [expert] NVidia will be bannished

Tom Mraz t8m at centrum.cz
Fri Feb 1 11:53:02 CET 2002

> Thanks you very much! Now I understand what causes all these problems.
>
> GABUCINO! Please add into users_against_developers.html:
>
> "NVidia works only with Intel's motherboards (due some AGP's patents
limitations).
> So if you have non Intel's cpus and want to use their products be prepare
to sell
> your computer first".
>
> Well - I've tested it with VIA-266 chipsets and problems were there.
> The same problems come from VIA MPV5 and other chipsets.
> This means that K6-K7 owners should never purchase their products.
> (I guess that Cyrix's owners too)

Sorry I can't help but this is a total FUD.

Yes, there are combinations of motherboard chipsets and graphics cards which
doesn't like each other. Many of them can be properly resolved by tweaking
some options in Setup. And certainly there are some combinations which
doesn't work even when BIOS options are tweaked. BUT you can't generally say
that all the Nvidia cards doesn't work with AMD processors. I don't have any
problems at home with TNT and MVP3 mainboard and the latest drivers.

I have to say that it would be nice if Nvidia released their drivers as
opensource, but I also have to say that if you want to play 3D games on
Linux the Nvidia cards are simply the best choice. Maybe soon the Kyro II
Linux drivers will be released (and maybe they will be opensource) but just
now there aren't any comparable affordable cards with good drivers support
in Linux.

Tomas Mraz