[MPlayer-users] Re: [expert] NVidia will be bannished

dan carter dcarter at waitaki.otago.ac.nz
Fri Feb 1 03:18:01 CET 2002

Alban Bedel wrote:

>         I use an S3 virge for years and never had any trouble with it under X with
>         both the 3.x and 4.x series virge drivers. It even support xvideo better than
>         the benshee wich crash on some images formats. The card itself is not so
>         good but the drivers are imho.

Yeah, like i said, 6 of one...

Mine was the original virge, i suspect you got a Virge GX, or some later
version of the chip, as the plain Virge does not support XVideo (unless
that's a new feature in 4.2).
If i switched from X to a text console and back without first waiting 60
seconds, i would get an immediate full system lockup.  I suspect it was
SMP related as i had another uniprocessor system with a plain virge that
did not suffer that problem.  My SMP system didn't suffer that problem
when i went back to XFree86 v3 either.  Also, if i scrolled a web page
my audio playback would stutter, that was a new problem in X4 also.