[MPlayer-users] S-Video - black and white in linux, colour in Windows

James Green jg at jmkg.net
Sun Dec 29 15:17:03 CET 2002

Hi All,

Hardware: Playstation 2 with Sony S-Video lead into S-video input on a
Hauppauge WinTV bt848 card.

Software: Mplayer 0.90RC1 (also tried xawtv, zapping), kernel:
Linux cyberstorm 2.4.19 #1 Wed Oct 30 12:41:01 GMT 2002 i686 AMD
Athlon(tm) XP 2000+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
Does not have v4l2 afaik.

Problem: When I select S-Video input in the software, I see the
Playstaton2 but in black and white only. I have confirmed that all
hardware is PAL and the software is set to PAL. I have also tried
combinarition of NTSC in software.

Additional Info: Reboot into Win98, use Hauppauge's own TV viewer,
select S-Video and PAL, and the Playstation 2 shows up in glorious
colour. Have also confirmed it works perfectly using S-Video on a PAL
television set.

Conclusion: something on the linux side of things is not allowing me to
set the tuner's S-Video input to include colour channels.

At this point I cannot proceed myself. I tried this for mplayer and got
the PS2 in b/w only:

mplayer -tv on:driver=v4l:input=2:width=640:height=460 -vo xv

Help!

Many thanks,

James Green