[MPlayer-users] DVD-video-stutters on RedHat 8

Chris Ahlstrom ahlstromc at comcast.net
Sat Dec 28 19:18:24 CET 2002

This problem is not unique to mplayer (it happens with Ogle, too),
but perhaps someone has experienced it and solved it.

When I play a DVD, I see pauses in the ASCII counter output, and pauses
in the video window, every time the DVD light comes on.

These are significant pauses, very irritating.

I've tried options suchs as -vo, -ao, -dr, -double, -cache, all
to know avail.  For example, -cache works, but after the cache is used
up, the problem comes back.

I've done a lot of work with hdparm, /proc/mtrr, and other things
recommended in the trouble-shooting guides.

Ironically, mplayer worked fine in the same situation when I had
installed RedHat 7.3.  With RedHat 8.0, kabloooey!

Here are my suspects:

   IDE disk driver problem in 2.4.18 kernel (previous kernel was 2.4.7)

   Latest nVidia GeForce 2 GO driver

Any kind of help would be very welcome.

Thanks,

Chris