[MPlayer-users] software not working with NVIDIA card under debian

Dominik Mierzejewski dominik at rangers.eu.org
Sat Dec 28 16:27:02 CET 2002

On Saturday, 28 December 2002, abel elenas wrote:
> i have recently tried to install mplayer under my debian,
> with a nvidia card my proc is a K6 style one.
> I was using a deb packet found at marillat.free.fr.

First mistake. Christian's packages are not supported, because they do not
follow MPlayer developers' guidelines for packaging. Get the source tarball
from mplayerhq.hu and compile it or go complain to Christian.

> when i apt-get install i get no error but when i run gmplayer
> i get nothing but the following lines:
> [cfg] read config file: /home/abel/.mplayer/gui.conf
> Reading config file /home/abel/.mplayer/gui.conf: No such file or directory
> vo: X11 running at 1280x1024 with depth 16 and 16 bpp (":0.0" => local display)
> Reading /home/abel/.mplayer/codecs.conf: can't open '/home/abel/.mplayer/codecs.conf': No such file or directory
> Reading /etc/mplayer/codecs.conf: 49 audio & 125 video codecs
> font: can't open file: /home/abel/.mplayer/font/font.desc
> font: can't open file: /usr/share/mplayer/font/font.desc
> Failed to open /dev/rtc: Device or resource busy (mplayer should be setuid root or /dev/rtc should be readable by the user.)
> Using usleep() timing
> Can't open input config file /home/abel/.mplayer/input.conf : No such file or directory
> Can't open input config file /etc/mplayer/input.conf : No such file or directory

Second mistake. Well, actually this is due to first mistake. :-P

> Falling back on default (hardcoded) input config
> SKIN dir 1: '/home/abel/.mplayer/Skin'
> SKIN dir 2: '/usr/share/mplayer/Skin'
> [skin] file ( /usr/share/mplayer/Skin/default/skin ) not found.
> Skin not found ( default ).

Third mistake. You're out. :-)) But seriously, you need to have a skin if
you want to use the GUI. That is mentioned in the docs.

--
MPlayer RPMs maintainer: http://www.piorunek.pl/~dominik/linux/pkgs/mplayer/