[MPlayer-users] MMS protocol uses port 80 but should do 1755

Maarten Wisse pmwisse at wanadoo.nl
Sat Dec 28 12:03:02 CET 2002

Hi MPlayer developers and users,

I've been advised by the bugreport.html to post my bug reports here. I'm
not really sure whether this is a bug report or feature request, but for
me, it works as a bug.

When doing this:

mplayer mms://media2.omroep.nl/radio4live

or more complicated

mplayer http://www.omroep.nl/radio4/live20.asx (correctly redirected by
mplayer to the link above)

MPlayer fails to connect to the mms server. It does:

Resolving media2.omroep.nl ...
Connecting to server media2.omroep.nl[212.153.79.27]:80 ...

And finally stops with a report that the connection has failed.

The reason is that mplayer automatically searches on port 80 instead of
1755, which the Microsoft Multimedia Stream uses. This workaround
produces the music:

mplayer mms://media2.omroep.nl:1755/radio4live
                               ^^^^^

My suggestion: either tell MPlayer always to connect on port 1755 when
port 80 and 1755.

I hope this might help you improving the otherwise wonderful MPlayer.
I'm sure Bill Gates uses it at home. :-)

Cheers and a Happy New Year,

Maarten Wisse