[MPlayer-users] GUI or not GUI

Giovanni Fassina fassinagio at interfree.it
Fri Dec 27 19:02:02 CET 2002

Hello to everybody.

I'm a new user of MPlayer and I am very very satisfied by this product.
I have an ATI radeon card so I'd like to use the driver xvidix, that
provides better speed and hardware acceleration of most operations.
But I have to start MPlayer as root or with root suid.... but gtk+
refuses to start the program for security reasons... so I cannot use the
gui if I want to use the xvidix driver (and also the DGA).

Do someone of you have suggestion to bypass this problem or can suggest
me to use another video driver ? (X11 works quite well, but is quite
slow and CPU intensive)

Thank you very much in advance

Best regards

Giovanni