[MPlayer-users] [Question] Why 2 channel ac3

Robert R. Wal rrw at hell.pl
Thu Dec 26 16:42:02 CET 2002

On 02.12.26 Ed Fisher pressed the following keys:

> Anyway, your entire email seems to be based on the premise that release
> groups are downmixing 5.1ch ac3 to 2ch ac3 themselves, and that's
> definitely not true.

Can you imagine the sound that all those 350-AC3-AMC dvdrips make
diseapearing from my HDD?

I happen to own everything that was published on DVD from Stargate and
Babylon 5. PAL releases of SG1 from season 3, 4 and 5 contain 5.1
AC3 at 448 english tracks.

s3 AMC is 224 5.1 -- the sound is shitty compared to the 5.1 448 from
                     DVD even on my el cheapo 4+1 speakers
s4 AMC is 224 3.1 -- ditto
s5 AMC is 192 2.0 -- slightly better

One could argue about SG1s5 that they used some other edition that
actually had this 2.0 192kbps sound, but no legally sane publisher would
release dvd with 5.1 or even 3.1 soundtrack with only 224kbps.

As for Babylon 5, season 1 PAL has 384 5.1 sound. AMC release has 192
2.0. There was never, ever any release with 192 sound for sure, since
this is the first DVD edition.

But if you want to make ass of your mouth, please continue and tell me
how wonderful the quality of the rips by release groups is.

Robert

--
Bastard Operator From 149.156.96.35