[MPlayer-users] mplayer problems on older ATI/p400 and RH8

Sullivan, Brendan BrendanSullivan at letu.edu
Sat Dec 21 18:20:02 CET 2002

hello, I recently installed .90rc1 on a p2-400/192mb SDram/ATI Mach 64 8mb running RedHat 8.0 At first i couldn't get mplayer to play anything, but after playing with the -vo options, i finally got "gmplayer -vo dga" to work (but only when running mplayer as root). However, when a video is playing, mplayer seems to completely cut off any keyboard and mouse input, and i cant control the computer at all until the file is done playing. At that point mplayer exits full screen and to play another file, i have to exit and restart mplayer.

Is there any other way to make this work? i do not have any video drivers other than vesa installed, could that be the problem?

One other problem that i've noticed is that in RH8 (this problem is on my p4-1.3ghz/256mb RDram/Geforce 4 ti4200 128mb), once I enter fullscreen mode, it will not exit fullscreen mode even if I select either double-size or original-size on the menu. Also when I click on the screen in fullscreen mode, the GUI does not appear. Is this a problem just with RH8? I was previously running RH7.3 and some previous version of mplayer (dont recall exactly which one), and exiting fullscreen and the GUI worked just fine.

thanks for any suggestions/help,
Brendan