[MPlayer-users] video slow - I think

Attila Kinali kinali at gmx.net
Sun Dec 15 18:41:02 CET 2002

On Sun, 15 Dec 2002 11:44:34 -0500
Anita Lewis <ajlewis2 at intac.com> wrote:

> I've been working on this for days.  I was trying to use an AMD K6-2 400
> processor with ATI RageIIC video and SB audio.  I had trouble with Windows
> using PowerDVD - had to keep reinstalling, but could watch movies.  Then I
> tried to watch Lord of the Rings on it and couldn't get the PowerDVD to
> work.  Meanwhile I was working with mplayer in Debian woody - kernel 2.4.7 -
> same hardware.  The sound stopped after about 10 seconds.  I gave up on the
> hardware, thinking the processor was too slow.
>[...]
> I'm
> wondering if it could help to put a SiS 6326 8MB card that I have laying
> around into the machine.  I don't want to go to the bother of configuring X
> and so on if it will not help.

If you are using a mainboard with a ALI V chipset then it's most likely
that you hit the bandwith limit of your mainboard (had the same problems
with a k6-II 350). There are 2 ways of improving your performance:
get a pII-400 (have about the 3 times better io performance)
or imporve the io speed of your grafic card by getting a
matrox G400/G450/G550. Those have trough mga_vid the fastest
io system. A G200 is also not bad, but due to a different
picture format it eats some % of performance (i measured
between 1% and 10% speed increase for the video output
subsystem (ie not overall performance) by exchanging
 a G200 by a G550)

		Attila Kinali
--
He! Do sitzed jo Fraue wo i nöd kenne! Was mached die do ?
		-- Emi im ETZ