[MPlayer-users] new ALSA9 code

gabor gabor at realtime.sk
Sat Dec 14 23:07:02 CET 2002

On Sat, 2002-12-14 at 22:03, Vladimir I. Umnov wrote:
> Hello, gabor.
>
> Sorry for last duplicate message.
>
> g> what does it mean that don't work..give a better description of the
> g> error
> HW: SBLive OEM (rev 7)
>     Analog Speakers
> SW: RedHat 7.3
>     GCC 3.2
>     Latest CVS mplayer
>     Kernel 2.4.20 or Kernel 2.5.50
>
> Cases:
> 1) Windows native creative driver: all works fine
> 2) Windows kx driver: I can't here any sound in Center/LFE in all
> cases (I try 1.5 hours switch all that I see).
> 1-2) Why in ac3 decoders "4" and "6" channels choises disabled? Only
> works SP/DIF, that play all 6 channels correctly.
> 3) OSS kernel driver | opensource.creative.com driver:
> - "-channels 2" works fine
> - "-channels 4" works fine only with opensource.creative.com
> driver, Center/LFE mixed into 4 channels;
> - "-channels 6" works like -channels 4, but Center/LFE not hearable.
>   May be on my card center/lfe channels not standart. With emu10k
>   script file in ac97 mixer appends "mix" for center channel and it
>   don't work too.
>
> g> i have a mandrake-2.4.20-kernel, and it works.
> g> simply "mplayer -ao oss -channels 6 my.avi"
> I try play DVD or vob files with last (2 hours ago) cvs build.
>
> g> did you try with the default drivers from the kernel?
> yes, this was a first try.
>
> g> do they work?
> no, they can't reproduce more than 2 channels.
>
> AFAIK, emu10k1 has hardware ac3 decoder, which can route decoded sound
> to analog or send through SPDIF. I think, that SPDIF in windows
> applications means, that sound sent to this hw ac3 decoder. Is it
> right or I think wrong?

there was a discussion about whether the sb-live has hardware ac3
decoding or not, and it looks like it does not....

it looks like the windows driver for the card is doing the decoding of
the ac3 stream ( maybe with some help from the hardware of the card ),
but definitely not completely hardware ac3 decoding..

that means that mplayer -afm hwac3 won't work.

gabor
gpg key at www.keyserver.net