[MPlayer-users] Re: Constant Visual Quality

Angel angel at knight-industries.com
Sat Dec 14 11:44:02 CET 2002

> Could you perhaps provide
> some more examples (uploading them to mphq would be fine) or try
> encoding the relevant scenes with vqscale=2 or 3 and see if that looks
> good?

> BTW, one way to improve quality of specific scenes is to use the
> vrc_override lavcopt to specify your own qscale for particular ranges
> of frames. But if there really is a general problem, it should be
> fixed in lavc so that this isn't necessary in the future.

	The more I think about it the more I think that what I'm looking for is a way
to specify an average per-frame quantizer. What I'm thinking of is something
along the lines of: the encoder uses vqmin, vqmax, and vqave (or something
like that) to select the best quantizer per frame. The encoder would be
limited not by bitrate but by maintaining an average quantizer. Any chance
that this ability is anywhere on the horizon for the lavc mpeg4 codec?
	The best example I have of a blocky solid color encoding is the beginning of
American Pie 2 in Jim's bedroom. All the walls in his apartment are solid
green and look very blocky when encoded. I will upload an encoded version as
soon as I get a chance.

-Angel