[MPlayer-users] VCD and SVCD on Plextor PX-32TS PX-20TS SCSI drives no-go

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Fri Dec 13 20:05:02 CET 2002

[note I'm not subscribed and the size of the list archive keeps me from
subscribing, Cc: replies please]

Hi,

I have difficulties playing VCD or SVCD on Plextor SCSI CD-ROM, tried
MPlayer 0.90pre6 and pre10, with SuSE Linux 8.1 and FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE.
I tried Linux 2.4.19+Plextor PX-32TS+Adaptec 2940UW Pro, FreeBSD
4.7+Plextor PX-20TS+Tekram DC-390U (SYM53C875 chip).

The same CDs are fine in a Toshiba SD-M1612.

It turns out that Linux complains about ILLEGAL REQUEST, reading the
data from CD is VERY slow.

19:38:47 merlin kernel: sr0: CDROM (ioctl) reports ILLEGAL REQUEST.
19:38:59 merlin last message repeated 733 times

FreeBSD behaves similarly, and mencoder shares the problem.

I have no ideas what is the real problem, if it's the request size or
the non-MMC command set of the Plextor drives, looking at the source
code of cdrdao or cdrecord might reveal useful information.

--
Matthias Andree