[MPlayer-users] How to work around broken DVB streams?

Felix von Leitner leitner at convergence.de
Fri Dec 13 16:26:02 CET 2002

I have a few Enterprise MPEG-2 streams here that claim to be 29.97 fps,
but when I play them with mplayer, it looks like it's on drugs because
in every second or so, the first half is really fast, and the second
half is really slow.

Using -fps 40 seems to be almost right, but not quite.

What (short of trial and error) can I do to calculate the correct fps
number?  I tried mplayer -dumpaudio to find the length of the sound
track (2558 seconds) and then I wanted to get the number of frames in
the file but failed.  I tried mplayer -dumpvideo, got an MPEG stream,
and ran mpeg3dump on it, which told me some 79000 frames (which
calculates to 29.97 fps again, so it can't be right).  mencoder did not
like "-ovc copy -nosound" (that's a bug, right?).

Any ideas?

Felix

PS: I have more than one stream, and -fps 40 is only almost right in one
of them.  So it would be really beneficial to have some sort of
automated way to fix these streams.  mencoder could try to distribute
dropped and duplicated frames more evenly, but then audio and video
would still be off.