[MPlayer-users] Using mencoder to create Windows- and MacOS-friendly movies

January Weiner 3 jweiner1 at ix.urz.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri Dec 13 10:20:02 CET 2002

> > Don't expect them to be able to do
> > anything more then clicking on a link and seeing what happens.
> I don't mean to be rude, but that's the way computers are. If you want to
> support limited users, you have to resort to limited methods.

Of course!

> Convert to MPEG1, or (depending on Vinfuxx version) Indeo4 or
> M$ MPEG4 v3 + ASF format.

Yes, and all I'm asking is: how to do it :-)

At first, it seemed to me it should be quite simple, something like convert
foobar.tif foobar.jpg, now I've dig through tons of manuals, installed
megabytes of movie-related software, tried a hundred options, and I'm still
as stupid as I was before.

Take, for example, mencoder -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg1video foo.avi

This should turn the file into an mpeg layer 1 avi, am I correct?  Well,
it doesn't work in either QTP or WMP.

Really, I have been struggling with it for the last week or so.  Here is a
small exemplary file: hell.pl/january/mysz/mysz.avi (you will find several
of my attempts to convert it in the same folder(*)).  If any of you manage
to convert it to a QTP or WMP playable version and tell me how you did it,
I can send him a postcard from Heidelberg or buy a beer if we meet one fine
day :-).  Or help to troubleshoot any problem you might have with
quantitative PCR, sequence database search or LaTeX or whatever I can :-)

j.

(*) Contents of hell.pl/january/mysz :

mysz.avi - the original mjpeg file
mysz*.avi - files created with different lavc codecs.

mysz.mpg - this one is working in QTP and WMP, albeit at 25 fps.  I did it
	like this:
	mencoder -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 mysz.avi
	transcode -i test.avi -o mysz -V -y mpeg

mysz25fps.mpg - this one has the poor quality, but the right speed. It
	was done like this:
	mencoder -ovc lavc -ofps 25 -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 mysz.avi
	transcode -i test.avi -o mysz25fps -V -y mpeg

Les murs ont des oreilles dans la mesure ou les cloisons sont nasales et
les conduits acoustiques.                   - Pierre Dac