[MPlayer-users] Help w/ Mencoder anyone? DVD->DivX + TVcapture->DivX + vop scale probs

Dark Avenger adonis at linuxmail.org
Fri Dec 13 07:35:02 CET 2002

hi,

I need some hints+tips for encoding files, because I don't think I'm doing it as well as it can be done:

1)
I would also like to get some command line recommendations from people using a 3 pass method to create good quality (and small size as well) DivX's from VOB files. The video I am trying to encode is a small clip (20mins) on World Rally Championship (which includes a few high motion scenes mixed with mostly medium motion scenes, and very little darkness, but bright colors).

I am just unable to reach the quality of movie that I see some of my friends do with their windoze encoders and crappier codecs like M$ Mpeg4 v2/v3 ...

Any hints appreciated

2)
I also want to convert some video tapes to DivX _but_ the only
way that I have done it so far is by doing a "real-time" capture+encode pass. I would think that doing a capture into something like a DVD quality mpeg (mpeg1/2 video @ 7500kbps) first, and then doing a 3 pass DVD->DivX style encoding would give the best results. Is this true? Has anyone done it or can recommend a good method? I can't do a direct capture to RAW RGB because I don't have that much disk space. But I can certainly have a 2-4 Gig Mpeg1/2 (like VOB) file and then work from there (the video tapes are small, 20-30 mins).
Can someone recommend what kind of compression settings to use for such a method (4-pass I guess you can call it). Should  I used Mpeg4 or Mpeg1/2 for the captured file? I would think Mpeg4 would be best (or even make no difference), as long as I keep the bitrate high.

3)
Can someone explain some of these things and what they do:
a) vlelim=-4:vcelim=7    <--- what do these do?

b)  I am trying to use -vop scale but Mencoder always crashes. I have used other filters successfully (rectangle,crop,cropdetect,unsharp,flip,dint). Has anyone had issues w/ scale ?

Thanks in advance. Really appreciate the help!
http://www.linuxmail.org/