[MPlayer-users] Using mencoder to create Windows- and MacOS-friendly movies

Jindrich Makovicka makovick at kmlinux.fjfi.cvut.cz
Thu Dec 12 13:05:02 CET 2002

January Weiner 3 wrote:

>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
>Hello,
>

>>This a Motion JPEG format. This is a capture format, not indended for
>>video distribution, and windows users will need some additional codec to
>>support it (although I assume that some massive codec packs, like
>>"Nimo", will contain it). If you want to further distribute your video,
>>MPEG4 encoding is preferred. (-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 etc.) Have a look
>>

>OK, this was my first idea.  The problem is, I've tried virtually all of
>the vcodecs available for lavc on my system (mpeg4, mpeg1video etc.), and
>none of them seems to work, at least on default installations, and this is
>basically what's important for me.  Quicktime claims it lacks software to
>decode this files, and WMP says that it could not find an apropriate
>program for decompression.

The default installation doesn't play DivX. The only format usable with
the default installation is WMV. What else do you expect from M$?

Here is virtually everything what a windows user can need to play videos
- a bunch of codecs in one installer. Of course migrating to mplayer is
more recommended :)

http://nimo.everwicked.com/

newest version ftpm http://divx.com is also recommended.

--