[MPlayer-users] AAC [was something about subs]

Steven M. Schultz sms at 2BSD.COM
Wed Dec 11 00:54:02 CET 2002

Hi!

> From: Moritz Bunkus <moritz at bunkus.org>
> Possible? Not at the moment because ogmtools don't support it. Is there
> an OpenSource encoder for AAC? Or at least one that I can get free

	Yes, there is an encoder.    'faac' comes bundled with the MPEG4IP
	project:

		http://mpeg4ip.sourceforge.net/

	That includes 'xvid' for the video encoding, a streaming server,
	AAC encoder, player, and quite a few other projects integrated
	together.

	For just the audio portion you can visit:

		http://faac.sourceforge.net/download.php

	where you can get the decoder (faad) and encoder (faac).

> (even for Windows, Shareware version, limited, whatever) so that I can
> create some of these for testing purposes?

	No Windows here so I have no idea what's available in that area

> > 	~64kbit AAC sounds really quite good (but then I do not claim to
>
> Obviously there is such an encoder and you have one, so go ahead and
> tell me all about it :)

	I first ran into it with the MPEG4IP project.  The player (mp4player)
	that is part of that is threaded and there were issues with that
	on my platform.  MPlayer initially couldn't demux the AAC stream but
	that was fixed so I use MPlayer now for playing the .mp4 files

> I think I still prefer Vorbis as it's OpenSource and sounds as good as
> AAC according to tests done by several persons and computer/audio
> magazines (e.g. the German c't).

	The AAC software mentioned above is OpenSource as well.   When you
	get up to about 96kbit AAC is is awesomely good - I've never had a
	need to go higher than that.

	Cheers,
	Steven Schultz
	sms at 2bsd.com