[MPlayer-users] error trying to play a DVD

gabor gabor at realtime.sk
Tue Dec 10 23:40:03 CET 2002

On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 21:51, Jeffrey Hammel wrote:

> I must be missing something -- when I hit Reply using pine, it assumes
> that I reply to the whole message:  that is, the subject is MPlayer-users
> Digest (...), and if I quote, the whole thing is quoted.  Is this just
> that pine does not support threads, or ??? Sorry, I know this is OT but I
> figured I'd ask before getting yelled at in the future (or possibly,
> asking TO get yelled at ;) )
> In any case, if I broke any threads with this message, I apologize in
> advance.  I did hit Reply.  The subject and response was cut+pasted "by
> hand".  So does this message follow "the rules", or, if not any
> suggestions?  I can't believe I'm the only pine (l)user out there...maybe
> just the most clueless.

actually i don't exactly remember what did you wrong :)

but the normal scenario is this:

someone reads the mails from a thread .....

and then he wants to post a new mail ( not in that thread ), so he hits
<reply> on a mail from that thread, and erases the subject field and
writes there something else.
then he writes the mail, sends it and thinks:
i removed the "Re: something" subject, so everyone will know that this
is a new topic.
the problem is that mails have headers, like subject, from, to,
whatever. and there is a header called message-id ( for example for your
mail it's
"Pine.SOL.4.44.0212101344200.4374-100000 at argus.EECS.Berkeley.EDU".
and when i send this reply, the mail client adds a header to my mail:
in-reply-to:Pine.SOL.4.44.0212101344200.4374-100000 at argus.EECS.Berkeley.EDU.
this way when this mail reaches the mailing list, everyone's mail client
will know where to put this mail.

the problem is that now that mail which has a completely different
subject+text+meaning will get sorted into the thread where the original
mail was.

it's bad for 2 things:
1. it irritates people reading that thread
2. some people, who doesn't like that thread will delete the whole
thread => this way deleting that message with other subject too..

i hope i made this clear,
gabor

gpg key at www.keyserver.net