[MPlayer-users] bttv grab under Linux

Michal Seliga michal.seliga at visicom.sk
Tue Dec 10 17:10:05 CET 2002

> Message: 11
> Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 13:52:40 +0100 (CET)
> From: Ferenc Kubinszky <ferenc.kubinszky at wit.mht.bme.hu>
> To: mplayer-users at mplayerhq.hu
> Subject: [MPlayer-users] bttv grab under Linux
>
> Hello,
>
> I've tried to use mencoder under linux (2.4.20) on an AMD duron 700 MHz
> and Pinnacle (Miro) PCTV Pro.
> Everithing went OK (video and voice sync too).
> But after some seconds (20-30 depends on bttv gbuffer and gbuffer_size
> parameters) the machine began to swap out everithing.
> Is it mencoder's problem (seems to be a memleak) or bttv's ?

   It is normal when you gave mencoder too much cpueating options
   with duron700 and ati tv wonder I was able to grab and encode to mjpeg 384x288 only when mencoder was the only live running process on my machine

  when I wanted more then it worked exactly as you wrote....
  I had kernel 2.4.19mdk with many mandrake patches, but I think this will not make big difference in this case

> Did anyone succeed grabbing from a TV card ?

  I did

> A faster machive sholud help ?

  I upgraded to Athlon 4 1333MHz  (Athlon XP 1700+ was on box, but who knows, I don't have BIOS upgrade...)
  now I am able to grab 768x576 to mjpeg with vqmin=2 and vqmax=2 (and mencoder beeing only running process...)
  I think now faster disk would help more (or more RAM?)