[MPlayer-users] RTP/RTSP

Glyn Kennington glyn.kennington at hertford.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Dec 9 13:35:02 CET 2002

Joao Ramos wrote:
> stream. I always get
> - Failed to initiate "audio/X-PN-REALAUDIO" RTP
> subsession: RTP payload format unknown or not
> supported
>
> But i can play it with realplay. I'll try harder to
> see whats happening.

The RTP/RTSP code isn't for streamed realmedia, it's for a couple of open
formats, mainly mpeg.

The servers that stream realmedia use a cryptic challenge/response method
before sending the stream, to check that the requester is using a registered
client (so it's only implemented in RealPlay), and also use a closed
protocol (RDT) for the streaming.  Neither of these are included in the Live
code that has been added to MPlayer.

Glyn

--
Going to Oxford is only `going up' if you start off south of it.