[MPlayer-users] Re: funky newbie problem

Rémi Guyomarch rguyom at pobox.com
Fri Dec 6 01:41:02 CET 2002

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 12:44:39PM -0500, Michael Waters wrote:
> wow! this looks very good, you are right.  imo, at least as good as the
> xvid test I tried. For sure I didn't try your combination of options
> when I was trying zillions of permutations looking for the right
> cocktail.  One thing though is that the resulting file is ~850 kbps not
> 800:
>
>   Video stream:  850.646 kbit/s  (106330 bps)  size: 7227106 bytes
>   67.968 secs  2038 frames
>
> I guess this is because of vratetol?

The vratetol parameter controls the tolerance of the filesize, not the
bitrate. In other words the unit is kbits, not kbits/s.

>  I wonder if this would be a
> problem to fit a file within 700mb.

Remember that it's only a bit more than 1 minute over maybe 90. The
VBR code can decide to use 2x (or more) the overall bitrate for a few
minutes and still achieve the required bitrate on the whole film.

--
Rémi