[MPlayer-users] Re: funky newbie problem

Martin Pavon martin_199ar at yahoo.com.ar
Fri Dec 6 00:34:02 CET 2002

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 03:07:01AM -0500, Michael Waters wrote:

> I uploaded a sample of one bad spot to /incoming a while back and
> mentioned it here.  There's also several seconds of landscape shots
> near the beginning of the 'Witness' dvd (with Harrison Ford) that lavc
> made blocks of even at 2000 kbps.  I don't have the disk anymore but
> I'd be willing to get it and upload clips if someone would look at it
> to improve lavc.  Although I think lavc is generally better looking
> ...sharper, brighter, cleaner, at the same bitrates... i've found xvid
> to be better at encoding the 'problem scenes' with lots of movement or
> changes in light and have been using it instead.

Hi!!!

Can you upload it to a public site? I really want to test it. I've problems
similars to yours, in my case with a water scene.

The point is that  several times was told in this list  that one can obtain
avi files  of great quality, but  quality depends in some  sense a personal
taste. For example, now I'm dealing with encode movies in one cd (usually I
use two), the quality I get is  better (very better if this expresion right
in English) than the  some avis that I can download from  the net; but some
times I got some  uglys scenes. May be I must accept it,  may be there is a
way to  improve it  (in the pass,  Rémi Guyomarch gave  some good  tips for
example).

A related question is the output. My  movies usually looks better in the PC
than in the  TV (the video card is  an nVidia geforce2 mx 400,  I know some
people think  that this  card sucks, but  I can't change  it). Any  way, if
someone with tvout (no  with nVidia card) want to download  one of my test,
try with

http://mate.dm.uba.ar/~mpavon/tmp/prueba8.avi   (1Mb approx.)

then I  can know if  it looks  ugly with others  cards too. (BTW,  the lavc
options was vhq:vratetol=500000:vqcomp=0.9:v4mv:vcelim=9 and -sws 1)

If you, or someone else, want to play with the vob sample, you can download
it from

http://mate.dm.uba.ar/~mpavon/tmp/the_shipping_news-sample.vob

(it sizes 8mb approx)

I've played a lot with it. First, I experimented with scale only (I fix the
video bitrate  to 740  so it  fits in one  cd) and  later I'm  playing with
severals combinations: mpeg_quant or no,  vlelim, vcelim, vqcomp... Now I'm
adding vratetol to the mess... As anybody says in this threads, there are a
lot options and possible values for them... I must agree that I tried with
this options in no systematic way.

Regards boys, and happy encoding

--
Martín Pavón