[MPlayer-users] Headerless RPZA MOV file

tdc tdc at phreaker.net
Tue Dec 3 14:06:03 CET 2002

Hi,
is there a way how to play MOV file without headers? My friend acted in
some school-project video and he wants to watch it on his PC. The only
problem in here is the result he received is headerless mov file. The
process (if i remember well) was something like this:
Movie was shot in full PAL resolution on some (unknown to me) camera and
then in school it was digitalized to PC (probably with some black magic
;-)).
The result is 25fps full PAL movie (5 minutes of this takes roughly
1.2Gig), which he is able to open and play in QT5 player on regular PC
(sure the playback is better to call 'slideshow' in this resolution).
This is all i know.
I downloaded first 15 megs of it and tried to open it with mplayer. The
result was expectable:
---
============ Sorry, this file format is not recognized/supported
=============
=== If this file is an AVI, ASF or MPEG stream, please contact the
author! ===
---

When started with '-v 1', one part was looking almost like success (the
same with demuxer forced to 7):
---
Checking for MOV
MOV: 'WIDE' chunk found!
MOV: Movie DATA found!
MOV: Movie DATA found!
stream_seek: WARNING! Can't seek to 0x503DE880 !
MOV: missing header (moov/cmov) chunk! Maybe broken file...
DEMUXER: freeing demuxer at 0x83d82d0
---

That's true.. nowhere in that 15 megs is any 'moov' header (but with
sample calculation the 15megs should be about 3.5 seconds of the movie
and i doubt header can be somewhere deeper in the file). The file begins
with plain:
---
^@^@^@^HwideP=čxmdat^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^H^@^@^RDecompressRPZA8_2x^@^@^@^@~@^K^@^@~PA^@^T|
---
and after this, it looks like graphics data already. Based on the
header, i guess it uses rpza compression, which looks to be supported
(/main/libmpcodecs/vd_qtrpza.c).

Any chance to make it play (and mainly recode with mencoder to some
'viewable' resolution)?

Thanx, Dave

PS: i've uploaded the sample with very short description to /incoming as
'large_rpza_without_headers.mov'

PPS: CC to me too, please. I'm not in list, but reading it often thru web.