[MPlayer-users] Encoding quality advices

Haas Wernfried w.haas at xover.htu.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Dec 1 15:24:05 CET 2002

hi,
On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 10:33:02PM +0100, Moritz Bunkus wrote:
> What I definitly don't like would be if a user (especially those
> "ripping newbies") was able to enter a command like
>
> mencoder -dvd 1 --verygoodquality -o iamthemasterofripping.avi
>
> because they would expect too much from such presets.
i guess you're right about that, maybe people would come up and say
"hey, i used --verygoodquality and it just sucks", especially if encoding
something that would really require some other settings. on the other hand,
there are users (like me) who just want to encode something with
decent quality and do not really care if they could get out some 10%
higher quality by playing around with some settings. of course it would
be possible to work through your guide (and possibly others, read a bit
of source code, etc ;) ), but some people are quite happy with not that
high-quality results but using a quite good preset. renaming it to
--quite-good-quality would also point ot that. don't get me wrong,
i appreciate your knowledge (and that of a lot of other people on the list),
but i just don't have that high demand of really perfect quality.
right now i am encoding with quite simple options and i guess
--verygoodquality could possibly increase the quality of my videos by
10%, working through your guide possibly by 20%. as it is not that important
to me to gain 20% by hard work, i'd be quite happy with the 10% by just
typing --quite-good-quality.
on the other hand, the question is, if people like me just shouldn't use
mencoder but some frontend (with presets) and leave mencoder alone ;)

> The argument that
> it would make things easier is actually not valid in my opinion -
> because very soon they would like to change the parameters chosen for
> --verygoodquality, perhaps simply because the resulting file was 4megs
> too small, and then again they would have to care about the parameters.
hmm, if --verygoodquality tells me that it is encoding with vbitrate=800, i
can could change it to 803 and override it. on the other hand, if i am
to lazy to think myself and just use i preset, why should i care about
4 megs (just make sure the results are usually a bit lower, because 696 megs
are easier to burn on cd than 704).

regards,
	wernfried

--
-> Fppmpppffpppmpfpffmffmppmpm Mfpmmmmmmfmm
-> fpp.mfpmmmmmmfmm at fpfppffpmmpppff.ppmfmfmpm.mmmfmp
-> mfpfmpfmppfm://fpfppffpmmpppff.ppmfmfmpm.mmmfmp/~mmmppmpppmpppppmffppfppp
-> http://www.namesuppressed.com/kenny/