[MPlayer-users] re: [Mplayer-dev-eng] xmms-plugin

Jeremy Brenner jeremy at theedge.net
Thu Aug 29 21:21:02 CEST 2002

>>Hi,

>> has anyone tried to make an xmms-plugin of mplayer? (don't flame me!)
>no. nobody was so mad yet :)
>> since it shouldn't be that difficult, i might try this myself, if
>>noone has
>> done it yet. basically it should suffice to adapt main.c to be a
>>plugin and
>> get its input from xmms, making a libao that outputs to xmms and
>>removing
>> the non-x targets from libvo.
>it is not so simple, but feel you free to try it. we can't help, sorry.

>xmms plugins are multithreaded, event-controlled code, while mplayer
>isn't.
>changing mplayer is between very hard and impossible.
>(and will result to same performance and stability loss as other
>players has)
>
>A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team
>
>--
>mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
>http://esp-team.scene.hu

Ok. this is a VERY old message, but something i'd like to see.  My idea
is slightly different and I'd like to know if its a possibility,  I
would like to attempt this myself.  First off I think making mplayer the
plugin is way to drastic.  I would like to see an MPlayer
configuration/control/playlist plugin for xmms.  Possibly piping the
audio back through mplayer but not necesary.  I would like playlist,
play, pause, ff, rewind, volume functions pass through a plugin(possibly
via lirc (is that the correct name?) to control an already stable
possibly UNMODIFIED mplayer. It could fire mplayer up when necessary and
shut it down when needed.  Passing info back to xmms may be more of a
chore, I'm not for sure what type , if any support for feedback about
video position and whatnot mplayer has.  If my goals are too lofty then
I'll back down, but I would like to look into it. Let me know what
anybody thinks about this.

jeremy