[MPlayer-users] Re: Searching with "-ss 00:23:00" parameter inaccurate?

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Tue Aug 27 00:06:01 CEST 2002

Hi!

>>> teh mpeg seekig code gets the average bitrate value from teh header,
>>> multiply by -ss time and start playing the file at that position
>>> if the actual bitrate differs from nominal or teh nominal value is bad or
>>> nonexistant then it won't seek well.
>> But should it not check whether the positioned frame is at the requested
>> time and reposition otherwise? The current behavior makes it

> search teh archive it wa discussed already too long

I have tried, but could not find anything. Somehow the search engine
ignored the dash in "-ss". :-(

> the main problem is that those timestamps are not absolute values, sometimes
> they look so but for multiangle or edited or broadcasted mpeg streams they
> jumps at several points and don't start at zero.

I see..

> even on normal simple dvd they restart counting several times, mostly at
> chapter boundary.

Have seen such DVDs, too.

> the correct way of cutting dvd to 2 parts is using the -chapter n-m option

But that would require to play/encode directly from DVD. This seems
not to work when you have only *.vob and *.ifo available. I wonder if
there would be a way to deduce values for "-sb" and "-frames" out of
the *.ifo files?

--
-- Josef Wolf -- jw at raven.inka.de --