[MPlayer-users] Sound in Gnome.

Mike Albon mikea at yuri.org.uk
Sun Aug 25 09:52:02 CEST 2002

Hi All,

Sound servers are essential for playing over the network. Mplayer is a
tool I use because it supports NAS. I can use my laptop which has both
Xv and sound but not the power to play Divx's and other media and use my
server to do the processing. I've had good results with very little
drift and graphical glitches (but then I am sat on a little switch).

I'd ask that sound server support isn't forgotten as it may be essential
to some operations use of the program. With network equipment costs
falling through the floor (still), it is not unreasonable to see Mplayer
being able to be used is thin-client or X-terminal environments which is
why DEC designed the original Xv the way they did.

[snip]
> > i don't know one mplayer-developer who want to add esd
> > support, at least i don't want do it.
> Too bad oss and alsa can't multiplex sounds.. So i'm unable to listen
> mp3's while playing with quack
>

> You'll gonna answer 'buy some decent sound-card'.. Yeah.. of course..
> That's the easy way around

Just a thought

Thanks

Mike Albon