[MPlayer-users] Re: I wrote a mencoder mini-guide for DVD ripping

Anssi Saari as at sci.fi
Sat Aug 24 18:41:02 CEST 2002

On Sat, Aug 24, 2002 at 12:11:45PM +0200, Dominik Mierzejewski wrote:

> > 1KB = 1KibiByte = 1024 bytes
> > 1Kb = 1Kibibit = 1024 bits
>
> NO! Yuck. That was a bad idea from the beginning.

Yes, it's disgusting. It's like some kind of a mouth exercise and without
a problem brings the term "gibbering idiot to mind...

But the problem with "kB" is now that you don't know any more what it
means. In some software it's 1000B, like apt-get in Debian. In other
programs it's 1024B. So, as disgusting as KiB is, I prefer being
disgusting to being unclear.