[MPlayer-users] Xv and Xinerama

Robert R. Wal rrw at hell.pl
Sat Aug 24 18:14:02 CEST 2002

On 02.08.24 GD Lewis pressed the following keys:

> What's the deal with Xv and xinerama?  I read that it is purposely designed
> not to function with dual head xinerama displays, is this correct?

No, you are wrong.

Usually people use Xinerama on cards with dualhead output (like matrox
g400dh, g450, g550). Problem with this setup is that the second head is
``castrated'' -- it has lower refresh rates, no backend scaler etc. It
is the backend scaler that matters, since it's being used as hardware
behind Xv driver[1].

But, if you have two real cards in your computer, you can use Xv in
Xinerama as you wish (as long as it is supported on your cards).

> How about the mplayer vidix driver, does that support xinerama displays?  I
> have a ATI radeon 7000 AGP as my second display.

dunno

> Any suggestions on any other vo's that I could use for better playback other
> than X11?

Yeah, mga_vid/vidix driver.

Robert

[1] windows drivers circumvents this limitation by using 3D components
 to do the scalling on second head; no one has written such thing for
 Linux yet;

--
Bastard Operator From 149.156.96.35