[MPlayer-users] excuseme for my insistence

Jed Liu jed at litech.org
Fri Aug 23 00:20:01 CEST 2002

On 22 Aug 2002, José Héctor Galimberti wrote:

> > you don't have to try cvs for every day, just do binary search... 7
> > (log2(60)+1) steps should be enough to find teh exact date when it
> > gone slow
>
> Please explainme again about binary search i'm realy trying to solve
> this problem, mplayer it's the only way that i have to see divx movies,
> because any other players never give me that extraordinary performance.
> Thanks.

It's pretty simple, really.  Let d be the date that's exactly between the
date of a known-working CVS and the date of a known-broken CVS.  Check out
CVS as of date d.  If it works, then you know you have to search between d
and the date of the known-broken CVS.  If it doesn't work, then you know
you have to search between d and the date of the known-working CVS.  And
you repeat until you get two consecutive dates where one works and one
doesn't.  Each time, you cut your search space in half.

-Jed.

--
Jed Liu
http://www.bigfoot.com/~jed_liu/