[MPlayer-users] Re: memleak in cvs

Ed Sweetman safemode at speakeasy.net
Wed Aug 21 04:51:02 CEST 2002

i'm not on the list so cc's are appreciated.

I'm the original poster and there isn't much to report about the
problem.   I gave the config told you the type of file i'm using, dvd
ripped divx encoded.   I told you the problem:  memory is eaten as if
the file is being mapped into memory and isn't free'd as it's decoded
like it should be and if you hit stop or start playing a new file, the
memory just increases where it left off.  It does free the memory when
exiting mplayer of course.  I see around 76% of 1.6GB of memory in use
by mplayer after an hour and a half of decoding a file.  and the Memory
increase occurs on all files not just divx files and i've used multiple
codecs and observed the same problem, not just binary only codecs.
I also mentioned i'd be happy to give more info but since nobody replied
that it would be necessary i didn't.  Here are them anyways.

Distro: Debian unstable
Kernel: 2.4.19
libc: 2.2.5
X: 4.1.0.1
gcc: 2.95.4 20011002
ld: 2.12.90.0.15 20020717
binutil: 2.12.90.0.15 (i386-linux) using BFD version 2.12.90.0.15
20020717

I posted the configure output in a prior email and i'll link you to the
actual binary i use.

http://signal-lost.homeip.net/mplay/mplayer

it's linked to optional libs but core developers should have those
installed.. so it shouldn't be a problem.  only thing in /usr/local/lib
is libmad.

What more info do you want?  If I could debug and fix the problem and
send a patch for it i would but i dont know the mplayer code and i'm
supposed to be spending my time developing for zinf. :)