[MPlayer-users] 2 pass divx encoding from .VOB/dvd - Targeted filesize (bitrate) ends up way way wrong

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Tue Aug 20 22:15:01 CEST 2002

Hi

On Tuesday 20 August 2002 02:46, D Richard Felker III wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 20, 2002 at 01:17:37AM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > > Actually, I believe there *is* a bug in libavcodec where it won't
> > > properly distribute bits on the second pass when the minimum qscale
> > > (vqmin) is already reached on lots of frames, so quality still won't
> > > be ideal, but it should be a lot better.
> >
> > hmm, one possible bug is with the fps, lavc ratecontrol calculates the
> > bitrate by counting the encoded frames & using the framerate but if this
> > isnt constant or something then the bitrate could be wrong
> >
> > btw, its much easyer to fix bugs which i can reproduce, sadly i cant, and
> > noone sended me a video which triggers it :( (yes i know that most of
> > these videos are too huge to upload)
>
> I thought I uploaded a relevant sample from Ghost in the Shell, but
hmm, i cant find it on mphq, if u did upload it, then tell me the filename ...

> maybe not. Let me know if you'd like me to try to reproduce it and
> I'll see what I can do.
yes, a sample which triggers the bug would be nice

btw, i did mostly rewrote the rc code in my local tree, its much more flexible
now and allso seems to be better than divx5-window$ on a few short
testsamples but it isnt bugfree yet :(

[...]

Michael