[MPlayer-users] Old divx files break, MOV to MP4 problem

Casey King casey.king at amd.com
Tue Aug 20 18:43:02 CEST 2002

First, great work. I've been running mplayer on our Alchemy embedded Mips
SOC for over a year now with great success.

I've seen a couple of problems with MPlayer0.90pre6.

1. Some old opendivx bitstreams (made with flask long ago) don't play
correctly anymore. These have always played fine (with both opendivx and
ffmpeg) up through at least Mplayer0.90pre4. An example of what gets dumped
out is:

VIDEO:  [DIVX]  176x80  0bpp  23.98 fps  137.3 kbps (16.8 kbyte/s)
Opening video decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
Detected video codec: [ffodivx] vfm:5 (FFmpeg MPEG-4)
Audio: no sound!!!
Start playing...
scalability not supported
no VOP startcode found, frame size was=1821
header damaged
Error while decoding frame!
VDec: vo config request - 176 x 80 (preferred csp: Planar YV12)
Movie-Aspect is undefined - no prescaling applied.
VO: [fbdev] 176x80 => 176x80 Planar YV12
No accelerated colorspace conversion found
Error at MB: 4

Is it possible that changes to the ffodivx codec to support real MP4 (like
QT MP4 movies), will expose decode errors in old OpenDivx movies?

2. If you take QT6 and export a movie to MPEG-4, then Mplayer will not
recognize this as a MOV. Running the movinfo tool indicates a valid mov
file, but the check in demuxer.c for MOV fails. I took a look at the mp4
movie and it has these tracks in this order, sound (Mpeg4audio), video
(Mpeg4video), SDSM, and ODSM. I re-exported a new video only MP4 with
Quicktime and it played just fine under mplayer. It used the same codec
(ffodivx) as the old divx files want to use so I thought that ffodivx may
not play back these old divx files anymore.

For the record, my environment is probably very different from most:

MontaVista Software's Hard Hat Linux 2.0
Linux/mips 2.4.17_sherman-pb1500
mips unknown
libc-2.2.3
X not running
Video goes to fbdev
gcc version 2.95.3 20010315 (release/MontaVista)
GNU ld version 2.10.91 (with BFD 2.10.91.0.2)
processor               : 0
cpu model               : Au1500 V0.0
BogoMIPS                : 395.67
wait instruction        : no
microsecond timers      : yes
extra interrupt vector  : yes
hardware watchpoint     : yes
VCED exceptions         : not available
VCEI exceptions         : not available
Display ATI Technologies Inc Rage XL (rev 27)

The way I configure mplayer is:

./configure --disable-xll --disable-sdl --enable-fbdev --disable-big-endian

The way I typically run mplayer is:

Mplayer -vo fbdev -nosound moviename

Thanks.

Casey