[MPlayer-users] Re: memleak in cvs

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Aug 20 03:04:01 CEST 2002

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 07:46:38PM -0400, Ed Sweetman wrote:
> No, i tried libavcodec, same behavior. mplayer just keeps eating more
> and more memory as the movie is played and if you stop and play another
> or the same one, it continues where it left off memory-wise and eats
> more.  This is the codec independent code that handles opening files and
> sending them to the decoder and then deleting data it sent once it's
> played

Check /proc/[pid of mplayer]/maps and see which block is growing out
of control. It's possible that the memory isn't really in use, but
something is making it appear that way. I know mpg123 *seems* to have
a memory leak like that, but it just mmaps the file it's playing, and
then the mmap 'grows' as it reads further along. I don't think mplayer
supports mmaping the files it plays, but perhaps something similar is
at work.

Rich