[MPlayer-users] Playing video from CD

Haas Wernfried w.haas at xover.htu.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Aug 18 21:11:02 CEST 2002

On Sun, Aug 18, 2002 at 08:52:18PM +0300, Gregory Kovriga wrote:
> when playing a file from CDROM the drive performs some seeking noises
> and the video itself is bumpy.
> I'm sure that CDROM speed is ok since copying the same file to the hard
> disk takes less then playing it and it goes without those seek (and sick
> :) noises.
strange, maybe it has got a computer virus ;)
> Using -cache 4 option goes even worse - no image at all (sound seems ok)...
> Any idea?
from man mplayer:
       -cache <kbytes>
              This  option  specifies how much memory (in kbytes)
              to use when precaching a file/URL.  Especially use­
              ful on slow media (default is -nocache).

4 kbytes is about less than a second...

try setting a larger value (e.g. -cache 32536 which i use to play dvds,
works fine)

regards
	wernfried

--
-> Fppmpppffpppmpfpffmffmppmpm Mfpmmmmmmfmm
-> fpp.mfpmmmmmmfmm at fpfppffpmmpppff.ppmfmfmpm.mmmfmp
-> mfpfmpfmppfm://fpfppffpmmpppff.ppmfmfmpm.mmmfmp/~mmmppmpppmpppppmffppfppp
-> http://www.namesuppressed.com/kenny/