[MPlayer-users] mencoder - Encoded video(from .vob file) flickers between bright/non-bright

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Aug 17 16:35:26 CEST 2002

Hi,

it's probably field-based interlaced stream.
you cannot do 3-pass encoding of these with mencoder, you have to do
1 or 2-pass encoding (so you have to encode audio twice if you want 2-pass
video encode)

reason: the field info isn't extracted at audio-only 1st pass of 3 passes
(no video decoding then) so it don't know if it's actually 50fps stream
with half frames...

> Hi
>
> Just posting this to see if anyone have had similar problems:
> I have a vob-file I would like to encode to DivX, but the resulting
> video (no matter what output video codec I choose/what output filters I
> set) flickers horribly/constantly between a bright picture and a darker
> picture. Except for this it looks/plays fine. Also, when encoding,
> mplayer spits out a lot of "Frame skip!!" messages. The audio stream
> rips fine even though this message appears. The .vob file was ripped
> using SmartRipper on a windows box and is in PAL/25fps 720x576 format.
>
> mplayer 0.90pre6-gcc3.1
>
> Also worth noting: The .vob file is *played* correctly using mplayer (no
> flickering)
>
> Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.
>
> --
> .yvind S.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team