[MPlayer-users] mencoder mpeg2->divx audio delay question

Robert R. Wal rrw at hell.pl
Thu Aug 15 22:14:02 CEST 2002

On 02.08.15 Steven M. Schultz pressed the following keys:

> 	I'm having difficulty encoding from YUV4MPEG2 (from a DV file)
> 	to divx.   The audio races ahead of the video (the A-V column
> 	gets very large very quickly).
>
> 	This is not the DV in avi problem because I am feeding mencoder
> 	YUV4MPEG2 data (from lav2yuv) and MP3 audio (from lame).

It's next to impossible to automatically sync video and mp3 audio if
they were compressed separatelly. The reason is false information about
bitrate of mp3 stream contained in it.

What's actually funny is that this false information is part of
published standard ;)

If you wan't to maintain a/v sync in avi created with mencoder you have
to let mencoder compress pcm->mp3.

Look for the examples of 2-pass and 3-pass encoding in FAQ.

Arpi:

Is this in some FAQ? ;)

Robert

--