[MPlayer-users] Handling "bursty" data sources

Haas Wernfried w.haas at xover.htu.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Aug 10 04:37:01 CEST 2002

hello,
are you sure, you set cache to a value, that's big enough (e.g. 32536,
which is the value i normally use, i guess the bigger - the better)
and not just 1 to activate it? ;)
other idea: play around with hdparm -E <value>, which sets the cdrom
speed to <value>. maybe if you slow down the cdrom, it never gets
the chance to spin down, because it never gets to deliver enough
data to be allowed to spin down. of course, if you set it too slow,
not enough data will be delivered to watch the movie.
if you combine different values
for -cache and hdparm -E <value> /dev/cdrom you'll get dozens of
combinations to try out and so can waste a lot of time ;)
maybe it helps, good luck.

regards,
	wernfried