[MPlayer-users] mplayer does not stop xscreensaver correctly with multiple files

Kareem Dana kareemy at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 10 02:44:01 CEST 2002

Hello,

When I tell mplayer to play multiple files and use the stop_xscreensaver = yes config option I find that the screensaver is reenabled while the second file is playing and so forth with the rest. For example:

$ mplayer file1.mpg file2.mpg file3.mpg

file1.mpg plays fine and the screensaver is disabled, but then file2.mpg starts and the screensaver has been re-enabled at this point. It seems that mplayer trys to stop and start the screensaver after each file it plays and maybe with some delay on starting xscreensaver on my machine, the stop command before file2.mpg does not stop xscreensaver after mplayer re-enabled it after file1.mpg.

I think a more efficient way to handle xscreensaver is to disable it once mplayer starts and re-enable it right before mplayer quits (after the last file is played) or possibly emulate mouse movement internally every minute and leave xscreensaver alone (allowing it disable any kind of screensaver without any more modification to the code)

Regards,
Kareem