[MPlayer-users] Re: Display card recommendations

Anssi Saari as at sci.fi
Fri Aug 9 20:12:01 CEST 2002

On Fri, Aug 09, 2002 at 02:29:28PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:

> Why would you want to recommend nVidia for Linux?

It works and pretty well too. Xv support for Geforces 1-3 is in XFree86
since 4.1.0, i.e. for video use most nvidia cards have out of the box
support which simply works. I didn't think this was a big deal, until
recently...

> For Windows they may be
> the best, but Matrox and Ati have much better driver support under Linux.

I don't see how, for Ati at least. I just replaced my GF2MX with a
Radeon 7500. I downloaded the last release of Gatos for XFree86 4.1.0
and what do I get, a black screen, no X, no errors. Wonderful.

Luckily I had an older Gatos version around which works. But compared
to nvidia, I lost multiple xv ports and control for contrast and hue,
only brightness and saturation are available. I gained xvidix, but
interestingly after using it xv produces no picture, just black
again... I suppose I'll have to try upgrading X to 4.2.0.

Then there's also the interesting feature that if I choose at boot time
132xanything for console, Linux hangs. Or if I try 'scan', Linux
hangs...