[MPlayer-users] v0.90-pre6: mplayer halt on defunct artsd

Jo Schulze jo at feuersee.de
Thu Aug 8 23:24:02 CEST 2002

Hi,
IMHO sound output via arts is always sort of problematic since this
artsd is anything but relyable. To make things worse, I was unable to
reproduce the error with just stopping alsa (on top of which arts is
running on my comp).

mplayer version: 0.90-pre6
OS: Linux 2.4.19 (SuSE7.3)
artsd (KDE3.0.2) running on top of alsa5
mplayer command:
$ mplayer -vo xv -ao arts -stop_xscreensaver <filename>

bug description: caused by something I can't reproduce, the artsd
screwed up in some unknown way. kde3 kept on working, there was just no
sound. But mplayer was affected in the following ways:
- successfully rendered the 1st video frame
- then got stuck. No error msg on xterm output, no response to any input
(keyboard, wm) except from a X11 KILL (cntrl-alt-esc).

After restarting alsa and arts, everything was back to normal (eh,
sorry: great!).

HTH, Jo