[MPlayer-users] Re: Encoding with ogg/vorbis

gabor gabor at realtime.sk
Thu Aug 8 21:04:01 CEST 2002

actually maybe he want's to reduce the file size

i did the same.. i had a file with 128 or 96 kb/s mp3 and transcoded it
into 64 kb/s ogg files ( -q 0?).

so if you want to reencode the audio into ogg, do the following:

what you need?:
mplayer
vorbis-tools ( to encode ogg )
mpg123 ( to decode mp3 )
ogmtools ( to create the ogm file )
http://www.bunkus.org/videotools/ogmtools/

1.extract the audio:
	mplayer -dumpaudio -dumpfile audio.mp3 myfile.avi
  this will extract the mp3 audio.
2. reencode it into ogg:
	mpg123 -s audio.mp3 | oggenc -r -q 0 - -o audio.ogg

	that basically decodes the mp3 to stdout and encodes into ogg.... look
into man oggenc for more info ( the '-' standing 'alone' is not a typo!
it means that oggenc should read from stdin )

3. create the ogm file:
	ogmmerge myfile.avi audio.ogg -o newfile.ogm

4. you're finished :-)

ogmmerge doesn't know how to merge mp3 data into ogm, so he'll simply
ignore the mp3 audio in myfile.avi ... perharps in the future you'll
need to specify that you don't want the mp3 from the avi..

bye,
gabor