[MPlayer-users] file sizes with and without B frames

Steven M. Schultz sms at 2BSD.COM
Wed Aug 7 20:45:01 CEST 2002

> From: Arpi <arpi at thot.banki.hu>
>
> hmm? you use fixed bitrate - and filesize depends only on bitrate, so why
> should it be different? quality and cpu usage will differ for IP and IPB,
> but the file size won't unless you change bitrate...

	I thought 'vbitrate' set the desired maximum limit - and that the
	actual bitrate was variable (VBR).   It was a surprise to find such a
	small difference between the B and non-B cases - that's all.

	Is the lavc encoding VBR or CBR?   If it's CBR then yes  I understand
	the filesize being constant and depending only on the bitrate.

	Thanks.

	Steven Schultz
	sms at 2bsd.com