[MPlayer-users] mencoder and tv recording

Bradley M Alexander storm at tux.org
Tue Aug 6 23:11:02 CEST 2002

On Tue, Aug 06, 2002 at 02:50:28PM +0200, Georg Prager wrote:
> > What would be the best way to record tv?
>
> try vcr:  http://sourceforge.net/projects/vcr/

This is the method I use, but if you plan to start using it, there are a
few things to keep in mind.

1. The maintainer is no longer maintaining it. I have been working with the
Debian developer who maintains the package on a couple of issues.

2. The program has a 2GB limitation. At 2GB, it just quits recording, not
even exiting gracefully. Using the recommended DivX ;-) Low Motion codec
(which records at about 875MB/hour), 2GB equates to a hair over 2 hours
and 15 minutes. I have recently started using DivX5.0 for the codec and
found that I am getting about 450MB/hr, which gives me almost 4 1/2 hours at
a stretch.

3. Postprocessing can take a bit more time than the movie itself, but using
mencoder, I generally get very good results. Generally speaking, record
using vcr, then run mencoder -idx, then use avidemux for commercial
removal. After that, I use a 3-pass DivX conversion. Result is not DVD
quality, but for television, its very good.

--
--Brad
Bradley M. Alexander                |   storm [at] debian.org