[MPlayer-users] Playing mono-stream on a stereo-only sound card

Glyn glyn.kennington at hertford.oxford.ac.uk
Mon Aug 5 15:30:01 CEST 2002

D. Sen wrote:
> I am having trouble playing the audio stream from wnyc.org
> (mms://a264.l212441170.c2124.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/264/2124/v0001/reflector:41170)

(I can't check at the moment - I assume that it's a mono stream.  If
not, ignore this message)

>   on my stereo-ONLY capable sound card in my T30-IBM thinkpad.
>
> The audio is playing out faster than it should.

I have the same problem in reverse (stereo streams play at half speed
on mono-only Thinkpad).  I briefly tried hacking some extra i++
statements into the -aop resample code, but that then caused problems
with non-stereo files...

> Any remedies?

I use ESD, which can be setup to resample everything appropriately for
the soundcard, and used with -ao sdl:esd.  ESD still has a small delay,
though, so -delay or some manual delaying (+/- keys) is normally
required.

I think that resampling to different numbers of channels is in the
works, and will be present when the new audio plugin layer finally
appears.

Glyn

--
I know, for I told me so,