[MPlayer-users] audio problems on Sparc

David Myers myers at aedifice.net
Fri Aug 2 23:12:02 CEST 2002

Folks:

Just compiled MPlayer 0.90-pre5 on my Sun Ultra-1/200 running Solaris
8.  First of all, I'm amazed at the performance of MPlayer on this box
-- not sure whether to credit MediaLib, my Creator3D board, or what,
but the fact that it renders 640x480 video with very little framedrop
astonished some of the X86 bigots around here.

Only problem is, audio is all screwed up.  It's just a series of
long-duration beeps.  I tried with a regular .mpg file as well as
several DixV files -- all give the same symptoms.  Note that it's not
white noise or something like that (which I would interpret as a
big-endian problem); its actually making long, harsh-sounding beeps.

Same symptoms when I compiled SDL and used its audio layer.

Note that mpg123, xmms, and other programs play audio just fine.

Anybody seen this?  Any ideas?  Still, thanks to the development team
for a very good program.  I look forward to getting this working.

-David.