[MPlayer-users] -vo svga segmentation fault

Ken Acmens kpacam at sympatico.ca
Thu Aug 1 03:42:01 CEST 2002

D Richard Felker III wrote:

>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
>On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 06:44:15PM -0400, GS HUNT wrote:
>
>>[Automatic answer: RTFM (read DOCS, FAQ), also read DOCS/bugreports.html]
>>Hmm... Neomagic has had some problem in the past with the Xfree server.
>>If you have the money... i'd get a better card. A quick glance around
>>the web suggests that there are still problems with neomagic cards and
>>Xfree server... Might want to check for lastest patches for the Xfree
>>server.
>>

>IIRC, Neomagic is a laptop video chipset, so I don't think 'replacing
>the card' is an option.
>
>Rich

That's true.

I did an experiment.

I logged in as a regular user and tried running mplayer -vo svga.  I'm
getting a different error now:

svgalib: Cannot get I/O permissions.

If I run mplayer as root, it just crashes.
If I chmod u+s mplayer and run as a regular user or root, mplayer just
crashes.
If I don't chmod u+s mplayer and run as a regular user, I get svgalib:
Cannot get I/O permissions.

I think it may be a permissions problem.  Any ideas?

Ken