[MPlayer-users] mplayer unable to decode one of my DVDs

Philip Armstrong phil at kantaka.co.uk
Tue Apr 30 10:42:02 CEST 2002

On Mon, Apr 29, 2002 at 11:54:45PM +0200, Attila Kinali wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Apr 2002 22:14:15 +0100
> Philip Armstrong <phil at kantaka.co.uk> wrote:
> > I've got a DVD (1st of the "Serial Experiments: Lain" series) which
> > mplayer doesn't seem to like (latest CVS or release).
> >
> > Any data I should dig up to help debug this?
>
> Yes, please read bugreports.html

Hmm. On further investigation, I think my DVD drive really doesn't
like this DVD. Any dvd player using libdvdread seems to put the drive
into a sulk where you can't even mount an ordinary data CD in it any
more wihout a reboot.

> PS: We should consider a small file in BUGS in / that says RTFb

If you want bug reports in a fixed format, then can I suggest you put
up a web page with a form which contains enties for all the bits of
data you want in a standard bug report, and push people towards that
instead of mplayer-users for submitting bugs?. It's very notable that
every second email on this list seems to be someone saying 'read
bugreports.html' at the moment.

Since no one reads bugreports.html first anyway, why not save
yourselves the annoyance and make people submit all the information
you want in order to submit a bug report at all?

People won't read instructions; that's the way the world is, so make
the interfaces such that they have to do the right thing anyway, and
everybody will be happy...

cheers,

Phil