[MPlayer-users] Ripped .vob audio delay between chapters

Michael Halcrow mah69 at email.byu.edu
Tue Apr 30 00:28:01 CEST 2002

I used transcode utilities (4/16 build) and dvd::rip to rip an NTSC
(Artificial Intelligence) to .vob files on disk. When I play the DVD
straight from the disc using mplayer, the audio and video stay perfectly
in sync.

The first scene of the movie shows a doctor speaking in a meeting as they
discuss building a robot that can love. The scene ends on a close-up of a
mecha putting on her makeup, and then a fade to black, some text reading
"Twenty Months Later," and then a fade-in with a camera shot behind a
vehicle driving along a backwoods road. At the instant of that fade-in,
the audio *always* skips at the same spot as the video keeps playing fine
while playing from the ripped .vob file. If I'm playing the audio through
my /dev/dsp device, I just get a couple of skips in the audio, and if I
play though my DXR3 audio out device, a short segment (on the order of
milliseconds) of audio repeats itself 5 or 6 times before continuing on.

The audio and video are then obviously out of sync. This is corrected
after seeking forward or backward 10 seconds.

Is this an issue with the transcode ripping software or mplayer having
trouble with th audio stream?